Saturday 6 February 2010

Ok Lets Be Honest


In the spirit of honesty Qan Mag launched under another pseudonym call it a test post if you will. In the interest of what you can hope to expect from us take a look at our optimistic post from…last December. Ah the folly of youth...

I'm sat on my bed surrounded by magazines, you know the type. The ones that cost an extortionate amount and surface twice a year with the promise that no metrosexual man can do without. Arena Homme, GQ, GQ Fashion and GQ USA are staring back at me. And truth be told I will not be able to afford a subscription to all of them let alone afford the thing that the magazines showcase. Yet I have gone out and bought and in a few instances subscribed to these magazines, in the vain attempt they will really tell me something about fashion that I just haven't cottoned on to.

Arena Homme
Chuck Bass aka Ed Westwick (or should that be the other way round?) stares back from this particular glossy mag, shirtless because obvious clothes have no resonance in a fashion magazine. the magazine wades into that avant garde area of fashion magazines where not much is said yet some models wear ridiculous clothing in a bid to be fashion forward. this particular issue of Area magazine we see a lot of gangster type models donning frilly dresses in an attempt to create a juxtaposition of masculinity and femininity that never quite takes off.

GQ
the December issue of GQ features a scantily clad Nicole Kidman, in what looks like a Photoshop job gone wrong her gloved hand seems somewhat askew. the December issue proves less than fruitful on the fashion front yet it has great interview with Piers Morgan even if the picture of him makes him look even more lifeless.

GQ USA
I have a fondness for GQ USA. ads a follower of preppy fashion I think they have a great knack for introducing the brit to up and coming fashion from across the pond. I also credit them with my introduction to Vampire Weekend, for which I am eternally grateful.

GQ Style
recession fashion is a bore. although I have just whined about the dangers of edgy fashion foots. GQ Style's attempt at rebranding fashion as 'recession chic' lacks imagination and doesn't give the reader of a luxury magazine the fashion fix that they have come to expect from the upmarket magazine.

so to conclude there are great features on shoots available in these magazines but a balance needs to be struck between edgy and fashion with the recession in mind. because a person who is willing to purchase a "quite price magazine" as my local newsagent called it, wants to see some spark that they can bring into their own lives.

Catch The Original Post here:http://www.metrosexsells.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment